Monday, July 31, 2017

Merry Christmas Ornaments Canvas For Southern Ridge Trading Company

Hello everyone, I'm a few days late sharing this with you but just wanted to let you know that I have a tutorial over on Southern Ridge Trading Company's blog for my Merry Christmas Ornaments canvas.


I used Southern Ridge's new Swirls Ornament Set along with their Merry Christmas Greeting Pack to make my canvas and Tim Holtz's Bird Branch die, some Distress inks and stains, Deco Foil from Therm O Web and embossing powders from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies came out to play as well.  Hope you can stop by for my how to!

I was late posting this project as the very day that I was writing it up for Southern Ridge's blog, a forest fire was ignited in our beautiful little valley and we had to evacuate our home on very, very short notice (try and think what you would take if you had only a few minutes notice to get out!).  We stayed the first night in our camper down near the lake at the bottom of the road to our home and watched as the amazingly brave and skilled pilots dropped fire retardant and copious amounts of water between the fire and our homes.






Through the heroic efforts of the air crews and the ground crews, structural protection fire departments who came from all over the province to help, the R.C.M.P., B.C. Conservation officers and Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement officers and many, many more who's names I do not know we were able to return home last night.  Very sadly, one home in our valley was lost to the fire but if it were not for the skill and bravery of the B.C. Wildfire Service folks many, many more would have been lost as well.  The words 'thank you' will never, ever be able to encompass the gratitude that we feel towards those who put their lives on the line to save our home xo.

The fire is still active but mostly contained at this time and the fire crews and water trucks are up and down the road in front of our home in a steady stream, working incredibly hard to keep us safe.  We are still on Evacuation Alert so have to be ready to leave at a moments notice if conditions change but it is such a relief to be back to this place that we love so much.  I made up a sign and stapled it to our fence to try and express our gratitude to the B.C. Wildfire Service, it's not much but I do hope that they know how very, very much we appreciate their valour.


And to all of you who have sent emails and comments and messages, thank you for your kindness and caring and compassion.  We appreciate you all more than words can say.  I'll be back when I'm able, take care my friends!

Deb xo

7 comments:

  1. Your canvas is gorgeous Deb and the photos of the scene around you are incredible. So glad you and your home are safe, hopefully there won't be any more evacuations thanks to the hard work and risks the firefighters have to take to do their amazing jobs. My thoughts and prayers are with you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ornament canvas is really beautiful Deb! The pictures you are showing really do bring it home just how dangerous fires can be, I am just so sorry that your area has been affected in this way. I truly admire all fire fighters, they are very courageous people and I am sure they appreciated your thank you sign very much! Thinking of you. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful ornaments you created to hang off the golden branch Deb - a lovely canvas for Christmas! I am so thankful that your home was not touched by the awful fires there - thank goodness there are people trained to handle these catastrophes and I pray that they will be able to knock the fire down so you do not need to be at the ready to leave again! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad all is well after the fires. Lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Christmas creation. I hope the fire is over and you all are safe. It must have been a nightmare, I can only imagine. Take care.
    Hugs, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are safe! I have friends in Williams Lake who have a trucking business and do the recycling there and they too were lucky to still have their homes. Wyatt had some tanker trucks going as well for water wherever he was needed.
    Your Christmas canvas is lovely and I do like the branch.
    I live in Victoria and so far the only thing that was bad for here was the smoke for all the wild fires going in BC. Today still, there are 160 burning :( The largest on record according the BC Wild fire folks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sparkly ornaments are delightful, Deb - a lovely festive canvas... though a little overshadowed by the terrifying pictures following it. I hadn't really registered that you were staying near enough to see everything that was going on, though thinking about it now, I suppose it would be almost impossible not to watch when so much is at stake. Incredible to think of the work going in to securing the safety of people's homes and livelihoods.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo